Greek Diet Regime for Quick Weight Loss
Now-a-days we are hearing a lot about Greek diet being healthy. Pizza, pasta, pita, loaves of bread etc. are images that get pictured in our minds as soon as we think of Mediterranean food which is completely opposite. The concept of Greek diet which is a perfect diet style is changed into an unhealthy food style. It is an important aspect of healthy lifestyle.
Follow an original Mediterranean diet and see and experience the change for yourself. It consists of eating fresh vegetables, fruits, greens, whole grains, olive oil/sunflower oil, low fat products, sea food, poultry, cereals, spices and red wine. It is not only healthy but also tasty and delicious. We can avoid many health issues like heart disorders, diabetes, obesity and increases life span. Living for many years is not great but living a happy life to the day we leave this planet is important. Mediterranean diet is not about recipes that require costly ingredients and great talented cooking skills. It is a simple, inexpensive way of eating and preparing food.
An Original Mediterranean Diet
An original Mediterranean diet follows the below given order. The diet includes
- High quantities of vegetables, fruit, legumes, whole grains, cereals and cereal products.
- Moderate quantities of fish, white meats, nuts, low-fat dairy produce, wine (men: 1-3 units per day, women: 1-2 units per day) along with meals.
- Low quantities of red meat, eggs, sweets and sweet desserts.
- Low amounts of salt.
- A high mono-unsaturated fat (e.g. olive oil) to saturated animal fat (e.g. fatty red meat) ratio - at least 2:1.
As you see, it is not a set of recipes but a way of healthy food habits.
Greek Diet Health Benefits
Mediterranean diet helps in keeping body & soul healthy to the movement one vacates their body. Cultivating and following proper and healthy dietary habits is a way to avoid serious medications in future.
Easy to start
- Good for heart: Including Mediterranean diet in daily routine reduces the risk of falling prey to heart diseases.
- Increases life span: It reduces the chances of getting effected with heart disorders and cancers.
- Reduces the chances of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases: Following a diet regularly that contains good amount of antioxidants discourages the cells from undergoing oxidation stress which reduces the risk of Parkinson's disease. Eating food rich vitamin B, low in saturated fats and high in antioxidants reduces the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease.
- Diabetes: Diet with more fruits and vegetables, whole grains and less dairy products decreases the chances of diabetes. Nuts, fats from olive oil and Omega-3 fatty acids aids in stabilizing blood sugars. Soluble fiber which is good for diabetic individuals since it helps in reducing the carbohydrates and reducing the rise of blood sugar after a meal can be found in Mediterranean diet.
- Obesity: Eating foods that are rich in fiber, nutrients, antioxidants, mono-unsaturated fat and low in dairy helps in avoiding obesity. Greek diet plan for weight loss can be your solution if you are suffering with obesity.
Changing for better
- An intention to follow healthy diet is important.
- It costs not more than our current food item list. Preparing food with fresh plants products and whole grains is less expensive than cooking and having dishes of meat, cheese, and processed foods.
- Planning ahead like stocking the pantry with olive oil, nuts etc. are required.
- Opting for fresh foods like fruits and nuts rather over cookies, chips etc. are good and better.
Don't hurry, panic and mess up. Strat with small changes, enjoy the feel of good food and continue to follow. Make it a habit and later your lifestyle.
Greek diet meal
- White bread to brown bread: Use brown bread in place of white bread. Not the bread in brown color (caramel is used in coloring white bread to make it brown). Make sure it is made from whole wheat or whole grains. Remember white bread is bleached with ingredients that are even harmful to inhale.
- Butter to olive oil: Instead of using butter on bread or in cooking use olive oil or sunflower oil.
- Liquor/beer to red wine: Drinking red wine regularly is a good idea but make sure it is in limited quantities. If you are unable to limit yourself or have heart or liver complaints avoid wine or any other alcohol.
- Fish in dish: Including sea food in diet for twice a day is a good & healthy habit. Fish such as tuna, salmon, herring, and sardines are packed with Omega-3 fatty acids while shellfish like mussels, oysters, and clams benefit brain and heart in many ways. Go for fresh or water packed and grills, bake or broil which not only gives good taste but it is also for easy cleanup and avoid fried fish.
- Spicy: Use herbs for flavoring food instead of using more salt.
- Desserts: Instead of sweets go for fruits.
- It is easy to prepare a Greek diet meal for men and women, kids, adults and elders. It should be low fat, with whole grains, cereals, cooked with green and fresh vegetables. Make it tasty by including or by ending the meal with nuts and fruits.
- It is a not an overnight change causing system, but a cultivate & enjoy lifestyle.
Start eating happy, healthy & tasty food with a smile on lips.